Thursday, September 13, 2012

FRIENDS

I have been known to say that a good day is one in which I forget that I have Parkinson's disease. However, a close second is a day spent with good friends. True friends lift you up when you're down, don't judge you when you make mistakes and inspire you to be a better person.  As a person with Parkinson’s disease, I recognize the fine balance that exists in how people interpret the best method for treating someone with a disability. The balance between what to do and what not to do is so tricky that it almost contradicts itself.  I want people to see my disability to the degree that they don’t ask more of me than I can handle.  On the other hand, I want to appear normal.  I want you to be understanding, but not condescending. I realize that’s a tall order and nearly impossible to fulfill.  Amazingly though, I have some friends who accomplish this and more!  They recognize my disability without putting a spotlight on it.  They accommodate me without making me feel like I’ve been treated any different.  And when I leave their house, they thank me for coming as if I did them a favor.  They inspire me to want to extend that kind of love and kindness to others –especially those with disabilities.  You see, those with disabilities, especially the newly diagnosed, often struggle with feelings of uselessness.  When your body no longer functions as it once did, you find yourself in an identity crisis. It’s our job as friends and family members to help them through this transition.  We need to convince them that “disabled” is not synonymous with ”useless”.  We need to believe that our life still has purpose. Proverbs 16:4 says, “The Lord has made everything for its own purpose.”  Sometimes we just need a little help figuring out our new purpose.  I have many friends and family members who have done just that for me! I challenge you to do the same for someone in your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment