Sunday, September 9, 2012

Accept each day

Accept each day exactly as it comes to you.
Those were the words beginning today’s devotion from "Jesus Calling", by Sarah Young. For those of you not familiar with the book, this devotion is written as if Jesus himself were speaking to you.
The entry goes on to say, "By that, I mean not only the circumstances of your day but also the condition of your body. Your assignment is to trust Me absolutely, resting in My sovereignty and faithfulness." I could say that's easier said than done while living in a Parkinson's ridden body, but that would be an excuse that would rob me of an opportunity to change my outlook. As Howard Shifke would say from fightingparkinsonsdrugfree.com, acceptance is the first step to dealing with the issue and working towards a solution.
This seemed a fitting place to start a blog chronicling my journey. I invite you to join me as I learn and grow throughout this experience.  I invite your encouragement and “constructive” criticism.  (Be nice!)
Since this is my first post, I will give you a quick background. I was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease in May 2009. I was told it is an incurable disease for which there is no known cause. I was told the only solution is to take anti-Parkinson's drugs to treat the symptoms and to expect the disease to progress to the point where I can no longer function independently. I don't know anyone who wouldn’t be depressed by that prognosis. After spending roughly 2 years following the regimen of drugs prescribed by my neurologist, I began to wonder if there was some alternative path to the treatment of this disease. I began researching the Internet and stumbled upon the blog written by Howard Shifke called, fightingParkinsonsdrugfree.com. Howard had Parkinson's disease, but after following his own" recipe" for recovery, he recovered from Parkinson's disease two years ago. Since then, two others have recovered as well. When I read his story, I decided this was my best chance for recovery. His "recipe" called for methods I had never heard of or used before, but I felt it was the path for me. I have been following Howard's "recipe" since November 2011. I am fighting Parkinson's drug free!
 My faith is tested regularly on this journey. As I feel my body deteriorate, questions of doubt come to mind. "Will I be living "half dead" after this disease progresses? “ "How long before I can no longer care for myself?" But instead of letting fear drive me, I rely on my faith. I am learning that the testing of my faith produces perseverance. The Bible tells us in James 1:2-4, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.  Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." Reading this passage reminds me that this journey is not without purpose. I'm learning a lot about myself. I'm learning to trust God more. Through His faithfulness, God has surrounded me with a wonderful support team of people to keep me looking up! 
Today's devotion ends by saying, "Trust Me, by relying on My empowering presence". Jeremiah 31:25  states,  For I satisfy the weary ones and refresh everyone who languishes.” Trusting in God is like receiving an infusion of strength. I depend on His strength to get through each day. Thanks for taking this journey with me.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Mom! I'm looking forward to reading & hearing more! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teri, what a surprise. I'm so glad you are doing this. This is a wonderful way for us to stay informed...and also be encouraged. Your faith energizes our own faith. Thank you for being open and willing to share. Much love, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're really glad to have a place to stay up to date too! Write as often as you can, you've always had a knack for it. I'm sure this blog will be an encouragement to many and I hope it adds support to your journey as well.

    ReplyDelete